9 Warning Signs and Symptoms of Toxic Fungi That Everyone Should Know


We consider our house to be a safe environment. However, there are several terrible, silent – and often invisible – dangers lurking. They are usually found in the corners of our houses, namely fungi. The term toxic fungi refers to the fungus species that produce mycotoxin. This fungus causes a disease in the air, which can lead to serious health problems for humans and animals. The fungal species that contain mycotoxin can lead to fungal infections and can accelerate the toxicity in your body. Prolonged exposure to fungi can lead to many health problems. We at DailyCatchers have pinpointed 9 warning signs and symptoms of fungal poisoning that everyone should know. On the next page you can read which ones they are.

1. Headaches


Exposure to an environment contaminated with black mould can cause headaches lasting several hours. You experience get a type of allergic reaction to the fungal spores in the air. The headache can also be caused by an inflammation of the mucous membranes in the nasal cavities. If you work in an environment where there are black moulds and breathe in this air, you may experience head pains. This is a sign that your body is resisting these spores attempting to penetrate your body. The headache will be reduced if you leave the area or open a window and breathe fresh air. So if you have moulds in your home or office you may have frequent headaches. If this is the case, it is necessary to take the problem seriously to prevent lasting damage to your health. Take a look at the next page to view our 8 additional warnings.

2. Watery and itchy eyes


Another warning signal for black fungal poisoning are watery and itchy eyes. Mycotoxins that are present in the air due to the fungus can easily get into your eyes. When these cells enter your eyes, it causes them to irritation, itchiness and tearing. Itching of the throat can also be a sign of moulds in your environment. Other eye problems that may also occur are inflammation, bloodshot eyes and blurred vision. Symptoms may worsen when the weather is warm and humid.

3. Excessive coughing


The third possible symptom of fungal poisoning is excessive coughing and mucus. This does not happen to everyone who is exposed to the black mold, babies, small children and the elderly are most likely to be affected. Those suffering from respiratory diseases run an increased risk of coughing as a result of fungal poisoning. Once the black mold has been inhaled it can cause irritation in your throat, causing excessive coughing and mucus. Unfortunately, when the fungi reach the lungs, it can lead to bronchitis and pneumonia. Because coughing can be caused by colds or other respiratory viruses such as flu, seasonal allergies, bronchitis and pneumonia, it is always advisable to consult a doctor to determine the exact cause of excessive coughing.

4. Frequent asthma attacks


Another common sign of fungal poisoning is frequent asthma attacks. Fungal spores can nestle in the nose and lungs, causing you to develop asthma. If you’re exposed to fungi and you already have asthma, the effects can be disastrous. You will experience more asthma attacks than usual. The attacks will last longer and unfortunately feel worse. The usual dose of medication will not be sufficient. A 2003 study showed that airborne fluid exacerbates existing respiratory diseases such as asthma. Exposure to fungi can even cause asthmatic symptoms in people who have never had this condition before. Your chest may feel tight and you’ll have trouble getting air in, you’ll start to squeak. A study has also shown that exposure to fungi in childhood increases the risk of developing asthma by 80%. If asthma leads to respiratory problems, consult your doctor immediately before it gets any worse.

5. Hives


Hives are an itchy rash with pale pink, slightly inflamed spots. This is usually due to a hypersensitivity reaction. These itchy bumps can be caused by exposure to black moulds. Toxic fungal spores can penetrate your body through the tiny pores on your skin. This causes your immune system to react negatively to the black fungus and causes hives on your body. The rash can be very itchy and excessive scratching may even cause a skin infection. Hives can also be caused by pet dander, pollen, medicines and certain foods. However, if you are in a house that is infected with mould then chances are that it is the cause of your hives. It is always advisable to consult a doctor.

6. Depression


Exposure to fungi can lead to depression. If you live in a damp and mouldy house and you notice that you become depressed, there is a good chance that the spores are the culprit. You most likely have fungal poisoning. A 2007 study conducted by Brown University School of Medicine proved that there is a real link between exposure to fungi in the home and the development of depression. Scientists have not yet figured out how exactly this fungal poisoning is being fuelled, but it is indeed a risk factor. Depression has a negative impact on your mental and physical well-being, which is why it is important to have yourself treated by a reputable doctor. Positive influences and support from your family and friends also contribute to the fight against depression.

7. Fatigue


Low energy is another common sign of exposure to fungal poisoning. There are of course several explanations for chronic fatigue but one of these explanations is possible fungal poisoning. It can be accompanied by constant coughing or asthmatic complaints, as described on the previous pages. These symptoms lead to reduced oxygen, which will make you feel very tired and have less energy. After all, it’s no surprise that headaches and long nights of coughing lead to difficult mornings. If you notice that you are lethargic and have little energy, it is advisable to consult a doctor, so that you can determine whether moulds in your home or workplace are the culprit.

8. Sleeping problems


In some people, exposure to black moulds causes sleeping problems. Sleeping problems are caused by sleeping in a damp or mouldy room, such as a cellar. The basement usually has fewer windows and is more humid than the rest of the house. You’ll often smell a strange odour, which is also fungi. Knowledge of the fungi and potential health concerns can also cause stress and anxiety, which in turn results in sleeping problems. Fungal poisoning can also lead to irritated and inflamed nasal cavities and ultimately respiratory problems. Difficulty breathing makes it very challenging to get a good night’s sleep.

9. Digestion problems


Frequent and prolonged exposure to fungi in your home can cause gastrointestinal problems. Your digestive system can be affected if you breathe in toxic fungi called mycotoxins. The fungus mycotoxins can also be absorbed by your skin. As soon as you experience sudden problems such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and intestinal cramps, there is a chance that it is due to fungal poisoning. On the next page we have some tips to make your home mould free.

Tips for making your home mould free


Moulds are bad for your health and danger is lurking even before the culprit is visible. Our eyes may not recognize them yet, but our body can already detect them. Moulds in a home arise from inadequate ventilation and poor building design growth is facilitated by moisture and heat. Here are a few tips to protect yourself against fungal poisoning.
– Repair leaks and other water problems in your home
– As soon as you see mould in your house, clean it up
– Discard old carpets or ceiling tiles as soon as they become damp
– Don’t hide damp spots with paint. Dry and clean them first before repainting
– Keep the drip trays of your air conditioning clean
– Make sure that no water enters or accumulates around the foundation of your house
– Try to limit the humidity in the house between 30% and 50%
– Do not attempt to install carpets or flooring in places where moisture problems may occur
– Use air filters and air cleaners to remove mould particles, dust and any dander from the air.