Everyone knows them: the leftovers that you still have from the night before. Sometimes, you can make a new dish with it or sometimes it is still enough to enjoy at lunch. But did you know that those leftovers from the night before could be dangerous? It sounds really crazy, because there is a good chance that you have reheated and eaten your food the next day, just like us. But this information came to our attention and we had to share this with you!
When boiled potatoes are stored at room temperature, they can quickly develop a bacteria that causes food poisoning. Potatoes being a staple are the best and easiest to store, reheat and consume. Unfortunately, you would need to think again. Potatoes are a rich source of vitamin B6, potassium and vitamin C, however, if they are reheated again and again, chances are they might produce Clostridium Botulinum (bacteria causing Botulism). Even if you leave the cooked potatoes out in room temperature, the production of bacteria will only increase. So if you want to avoid the growth of bacteria, best is to keep them refrigerated or throw them away if not being consumed within 1-2 days.
2. Onions, celery and beetroots
These three ingredients are often used in soup. But if you reheat soup, nitrates can be released. You can find nitrates in all plant species, and in high quantities the nitrates are harmful. Repeatedly heating a soup can even cause carcinogenic substances to be released. On the next page you will learn more types of food that become toxic when you reheat them!
The protein structure of mushrooms and their family members change as you warm them up. They change in such a way that they become dangerous. You should also not store mushrooms at room temperature after preparation, because toxic substances can be released. After preparation, you must store them in the refrigerator as soon as possible and for a maximum of 1 day. Even if you are keen on storing mushrooms for the next day, make sure you eat them cold.
You may be surprised, but rice comes under this category too. According to Foods Standards Agency (FSA), you could suffer from food poisoning by eating reheated rice. You’ve probably already seen this. If rice is kept at room temperature after preparation, a very dangerous bacteria can develop that causes food poisoning. Always keep rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Some oils have a very short shelf life, such as: walnut oil, hazelnut oil, grape seed oil and avocado oil. If you have used one of these oils for cooking or baking, the food may release harmful trans fats when reheated.
We all know, eggs are a rich source of protein, however, cooked egg or boiled egg can cause serious harm when exposed to heat again and again. Once you have cooked eggs, eat them immediately but if it is kept for a longer period, don’t reheat, rather just eat cold because high protein food contains lot of nitrogen. This nitrogen may get oxidised due to reheating, further causing cancer. Scrambled eggs, boiled eggs and all other types of eggs must not be heated. This can cause problems in the alimentary canal. This is due to the high protein content. On the next page you will learn more types of food that become toxic when you reheat them!
You would know, piping hot chicken does taste so delectable, however, if you are saving the curry for the next day, do remember to not heat it again and again. The protein composition in this staple completely changes when it is taken out of the refrigerator to heat. Just like eggs, chicken has a high concentration of proteins. Reheating and eating chicken can lead to abdominal pain, vomiting or diarrhea. If you really want to reheat the chicken from yesterday, you have to be sure that it is heated up to the core. It is safer to eat it when it is cold on a salad.
It is important that you handle everything you eat with care. You should always heat fish and meat well. It is important that we all know what to look out for when it comes to our food. Storage of foods plays a vital role in keeping them safe and edible enough. So if you are planning on storing them, keep in the refrigerator to avoid production of bacteria that may turn harmful for your health.